Glinton lies just off the A15, 6 miles north of Peterborough. Dating from about 7000 years ago, scatters of worked flint from the Mesolithic age show that people have long found this area a good place to live in. There is evidence of Iron Age field systems, and excavations for the roundabout on the bypass just south of the village revealed the remains of a Romano-British farm complex. At the time of the Domesday Book Glinton’s land was mostly owned by Peterborough Abbey and its knights. By 1291, Glinton was one of the Abbey’s richest manors and traces of the medieval ridge and furrow field systems can still be seen immediately to the north of the village.
It is a pleasant community with some attractive cottages and imposing houses built from Barnack ragstone in the older conservation part of the village. A striking feature of this part of the village is the church of St Benedict with its graceful spire, a landmark for many miles around. Begun in the 12th century, it was a chapel of ease with a curate, subject to the rector of Peakirk. Glinton only became a separate parish in 1865.
As a detached village separated from Peterborough’s urban development, Glinton has retained a range of self-supporting community based facilities. These include the parish church, a village hall, a post office and village store, a butcher’s shop, a modern health centre, a pharmacy, a public house with attached restaurant, extensive recreation areas, and a filling station with forecourt shop and fast food outlet close to the village on the A15 roundabout. Peakirk cum Glinton primary school, established on its present site in 1845, teaches 200 local children. Arthur Mellows Village College built in teaches 1385 pupils from a 200 square mile catchment area. This is a community school offering facilities to many organisations, including youth sports teams, fitness groups, adult learning classes, uniformed groups, the local Horticultural Society show, dances and Gang shows plus community swimming. Clare Lodge offers secure accommodation and support for 16 young females aged between 10 and 17 who would be at risk in other types of accommodation. All these amenities have given Glinton a long established and strong community spirit with a number of organisations set up to cater for local interests. In 1980 the former Methodist chapel was converted into a village hall, it is very well used by everyone from pre-school children to senior citizens and is managed by a Community Association. The Women’s Institute and the Glinton Horticultural Society both meet regularly at the hall, as does the Parish Council, and its use by other organisations and residents gives Glinton a facility it can be proud of. Although the churchyard is closed to burials the Parish Council maintains and manages The Lawn Cemetery.
At the heart is the Parish Council which has a full compliment of 11 elected members supported by a part-time Clerk. The annual precept of about £20000 is made up of an allocation from the City Council and a parish precept.
The village is predominantly residential, with 650 dwellings and an electorate of about 1350. In the past it was mainly agricultural, however, farming could not provide sufficient employment following the expansion of the village that began in the 1950’s. There are two working farms and a few small businesses, but most of Glinton’s working population travels into Peterborough, or even further a field, with some commuting to London or Cambridge from Peterborough railway station. However, its rural character remains, making it as good a place to live as it must have been 7000 years ago.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved